Saturday, February 21, 2009

Office "what is it they call those places where trains stop"

You know how several store chains call themselves depot. Well, the one that has office supplies is a chain that does not deserve anyone's business. The reason I believe this is that a couple of years ago I picked up a headset to use with some software I bought. I never opened the packaging or used the product in any way. I still had the original bag and receipt. I am somewhat busy so I didn't return it right away. When I did attempt to return it, they wouldn't give me my money back. They said that it is a technology product and we do not give out refunds after a certain period of time. Interestingly enough though, they were still selling this same exact product. Well for those of you who don't know this, I am very Irish and do not have a good filter that stops me from telling people how wrong they are, so I proceeded to do so. The person with whom I spoke, okay maybe berated, told their manager that I had stormed off, jumped on my motorcycle and tore up the parking lot. Not even close to true. I spoke to the manager, made peace and ended up getting a store credit. So we were kinda cool.

So cool in fact that they sent me coupons recently, one of which had a card that was good for $20 off a $100 purchase. Well I wanted a cash register; we are going to use one at the Midwest Motorcycle Swap Meet. Oh but I digress just to give a shameless plug to my event. So I am about to get some copies made and I am talking to this assistant manager and telling him what I plan to do. He then tells me that the cash register is a technology item and that if I would have read the very small print on the back of this card I would know that technology items were one of the things I couldn't use my card on. Well my Irish did get raised and I believe I may have offered him a suggestion as to where he could put that card. He informed me that everything on one side of the store is a technology item and therefore not an item that the card could be applied to. I happened to notice a manual cash drawer sitting in the same area as the cash register I was going to purchase. I asked if that would be considered a technology item and he said it was considered such by the management. I asked him does that seem right to you? He said he could see my point.

This is a company that I feel uses deception to lure people into their stores and then provides crap customer service, often hiding behind company policy. I may be older than most of you, but I do know this. I know my father managed K-Marts for his whole career and back then, they didn't treat people like this. In fact I have worked for K-Mart myself and have been talked to about letting people cheat the company even when it is obvious that is what they were trying to do. I urge you to not patronize a store that behaves the way this office store does. Instead I suggest you do business with places that treat you the way they would probably like to be treated. You know that golden rule thing. I know that is how I try to do business.

But not only did the office store lose business today, I am getting one for cheaper delivered to my home from an Ebay shop. So all's well that ends well!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

A pint of clarification I did not hold onto the headset for two years. I probably had them in the cab of my truck for two months and those of you who have seen the cab of my truck could easily understand how stuff disappears in that Bermude Triangle like place.

February 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That should be point not pint, it is not real common for a pint to add to the clarification of an issue.

February 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home