Thursday, April 2, 2009

Someone else is telling people they are me

This is an email I received this morning along with reprint of a story that appeared in the Post-Dispatch. Apparently there are some who think even after this past weekend that I do not support motorcyclists rights. I would be more than willing to make my phone records available, to show that I have not called any bars since Saturday I don't think. I've been too busy delivering magazines.

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to let you know what happened with the helmet law. I made phone calls yesterday and one bar had told me that you called them yesterday morning and told them that we have a helmet law. I am not sure where that info came from but would like you to know what really happened as chapter members sat in Springfield all day yesterday and I mean all day before the bill was called late yesterday afternoon. Here is the article from the Post Dispatch and there is also info on yahoo groups. Just wanted to let you know and maybe you could put it on your web page.

Thanks





Here is one Terry Miller sent from the Post Dispatch

Illinois Senate rejecting a mandatory motorcycle helmet law
By Kari Andren
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
04/01/2009

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- The Illinois Senate rejected a plan Wednesday that would have required all motorcycle riders and passengers to wear a helmet.

Illinois remains one of only three states --including Iowa and Vermont -- with no motorcycle helmet law on the books.

The measure by state Sen. Donne Trotter, D-Chicago, failed 14-42.

"While I want you to have all the fun you want, we should not have to pay for it," said Trotter, a longtime motorcycle rider. "We have romanticized motorcycle riding, but it's serious business."

Efforts to require motorcycle helmets have stalled in the past, in part because of strong lobbying by motorcycle advocate groups that argue wearing a helmet is an individual riders' choice, not state government's.

"Let us have our freedoms. Let us ride the bikes," said state Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, an outspoken opponent of the measure. "If we wanna wear a helmet, fine. I don't care, but let me personally ride my bike without a helmet."

The Missouri Senate advanced a measure last month to repeal the state's helmet requirement for riders over age 21.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimated that helmets saved 1,784 motorcyclists' lives in 2007 and that 800 more lives could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn a helmet.

In 2007, Illinois had 142 motorcycle riders killed. More than 80 percent were not wearing a helmet. By contrast, Missouri, which requires riders to wear helmets, had 84 deaths in 2007, according to NHTSA data.

Terry Miller
President
Narrow Road Riders

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Boy I wouldn't have any idea who would try and discredit me. I am sure it isn't the same person that many believe tipped the police that there was going to be trouble at my swap meet.

April 2, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home